Christ Lutheran Church is. . .
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America:
Christ Lutheran Church (CLC) located in Georgetown, Texas, is part of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) which came into existence on January 1, 1988, following a merger of three predecessor Lutheran bodies. The ELCA website provides for the belief that the Church is a people created by God in Christ, empowered by the Holy Spirit, called and sent to bear witness to God’s creative, redeeming, and sanctifying activity in the world. All power in the Church belongs to our Lord Jesus Christ, its head. All actions of the Church are to be carried out under His rule and authority.
Southwestern Texas Synod & Capital North Conference:
The ELCA consists of 65 synods that are separately incorporated and grouped by geographical regions. There are nearly 10,000 congregations across the United States, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. CLC is a member of the Southwestern Texas Synod. The Southwestern Texas Synod (SWTS) is headquartered in Seguin, Texas and consists of about 126 congregations which are geographically subdivided into 8 conferences. CLC is a member of the Capital North Conference.
Congregational Authority & Structure:
The congregation provides the authority for leadership of the church through the congregational constitution and bylaws, and by electing members of the church council. The executive committee is the authoritative body of the council and consists of the President, Vice President, Treasurer, and Secretary. The church has a preschool, Christ Lutheran Learning Center (CLLC), which is self operating and governed by its own council. The day to day operation of the church is overseen by several paid employees and numerous volunteers.
Brief History of Christ Lutheran Church:
CLC is held its first worship service March 30, 1947. It was Palm Sunday and a small group of 43 Lutherans gathered at the Cody Memorial Library Auditorium at Southwestern University.
Our first house of worship was built on the corner of Austin Avenue and 18th Street and was dedicated on March 14, 1948. The building still stands across Austin Avenue from the old Monument Cafe.
Expansion and growth required a new location. In July 1981, a groundbreaking took place on our current site. We began worshiping at this location in May 1982 when a portion of the building was completed. The finishout was done by church members in their free time. Our sanctuary was completed through the handy work of congregation members in time for its dedication March 27, 1983. The new kitchen, Red Room, link, and gym were added in 2004.
In 2017, we updated our audio video system and in 2018 dedicated our new digital organ. Christ Lutheran Church is a tribute to the faithful stewards that helped to build our church and make a home for all those who have, are, and will worship in this place.
We welcome you into this house of worship and into God’s Church. May you know the welcoming grace of Christ, and join in the mission of sharing the good news and being the church in the world.
God’s work. Our hands.